I love to hunt. I enjoy the time outdoors watching the sunrise and sunset, listening to the woods come alive, and the memories made. I’ve hunted pheasants, ducks, geese, and deer, but turkey hunting is hands down my favorite hunt.
So, if you’re interested in hunting, but not sure where to start, give turkey hunting a try.
Five reasons to love turkey hunting:
- The weather for spring turkeys is typically tolerable. It’s not like deer hunting in the winter when you can often be sitting in negative temps with blustery winds. Spring turkey hunts are often cool mornings and beautiful afternoons and evenings.
- Turkeys can’t smell! This means you don’t have to spray your clothes with stuff that smells like dirt. No worries about scent control. If you stink or smell like roses, the turkeys will never know or care.
- You can call in a turkey with a wide range of skills. You don’t need to be a professional caller to get a turkeys attention. If you can work a box call, you can call in a turkey. You don’t have to know how to run a mouth call, you have options. I hunt with a box call and a slate call. I aspire to someday call one in with a mouth call, but I am not quite there…yet.
- The show is so worth the admission! Watching a turkey in full strut and gobbling is quite the sight. In my opinion, there is nothing like it.
- You will leave with memories that last a lifetime. This really applies to all types of hunting, but I find turkey hunting to be one of the best times for bonding with my husband.
What is your favorite hunt?